Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Conducting the Reading

I've got the Big Window's Review 5 in my hand it feels great to see my hard work manifest as a collection of excellent poetry. I organized the reading and flyerd at WCC to spread the word about the reading.

There was an amazing turnout on Friday night.

Many of the people who appeaered in the book came to read a sample of their published work(s) or to read something that wasn't included.

Even a few of the students from classes I visited came.

Tom introduced me very graciously so I could start the open mic. It wasn't an enormous crowd, so there would often be discussions on the poem after the reader finished or friendly comments and laughter.

Afterwards, I brought Mike, my brother, up to stage to perform a set of songs and poems. He was a big hit and I couldn't have been more pleased with the mini mixer after the reading. Many people came up to me a thanked me for putting together the first print journal of the Big Windows Review. I felt really rewarded for this. And wouldn't hesitate to help Tom again.

I also got to walk away from this with some great learning and experience with putting together a chapbook in Microsoft Publisher. I'm very happy with how the project turned out and will use the information I've learned to put together my own writing collections in the future.

Hours:
Friday Nov 22
2 hours prep for reading--setting up mics, setting up amp, organizing space, doing sound check, etc
1.5 hours hosting reading
.5 hours clean-up

No comments:

Post a Comment