Thursday, November 14, 2013

Constructing the Book

Well, it's done...and I think it looks great!

It took many hours of trial and error, but with the help of Tom and a little bit of online research, I put together my first publication as an editor.

This was the first text based publication of the online zine known as The Big Windows Review

I faced quite a few challenges with constructing the zine.

First, I had to aggregate the submissions in an easily accessible document.  For this, I used google drive and google docs to move all the submissions into one, easily accessible document. Then, I had to decide on order in the book. For this, I used theme and transitional movements within the poems according to sound, weight, length and overall tone.

I also had no experience putting together a chap book in Microsoft Publisher. It presented many difficulties with form and how to organize a text. The layout is similar to most small chap books. It is organized in pages of two, but the way that you overlay texts onto the pages is very sensitive and required a lot of focus.

After 2 hours of building the text, I was about 1/3 of the way through the processes when something catastrophic happend. I somehow deleted the whole document without any backups accessible. All of my work was obliterated.

Take two, I spend another 4 hours putting the book together and finally I have something worth publishing. Tom  looked it over and made a few changes.

Hours:

11/13/13

1 hour aggregating and organizing submissions
2 hours wasted building the document which was delted
4 hours redoing and completing the document


No comments:

Post a Comment