Saturday, November 2, 2013

Outreach

After reading Black Automaton

I thought deeply on the construction of the literary journal that I will be arranging. Since I cannot discriminate on the submissions, I must evaluate how I will arrange the texts/images to create a document that doesn't stagnate the form of "literary journal." 


Kearny's use of {} and bracketing deconstructs the formulaic nature of print publishing and embraces a more radical construction of a text. His ability to create a readable and visualized text inspire me to consider the broader implications of digesting art 

I want to make a book worth reading
I want my readers to enjoy my publication
I want a love poem, a sad poem, and a somewhat confusing poem 

These are thoughts that limit my ability to approach my work in a more engaging manner. 

I want to make a visual document
I want read and see a new thought or feeling
I want to break the page and manipulate ink

Tom and I have been going to classes to solicit submissions for the journal. We have a core group of writers who occasionally submit for WCC's literary works, but I want to broaden this audience.

When we go to a class,the focus is to get people interested in seeing their work inked into a page. We present chap books and zines we have previously published and this usually entices people. I wonder, though, how often they have thought of seeing their name as the author of something and how boring it can be to be an author--to be just another name in an anthology. 

I would like to try to convey the need for submissions that are not so easy to write. Submissions that do not submit. I would like to see texts which are more difficult to swallow or to interpret. 

But I must dedicate myself to the work which I recieve and do my best to use the skills I've learned from EMU's creative writing department. I have developed a new approach to texts and I must be honest in my appraisal of how much I can do to take a journal/chap book, and turn into a engaging source of writing, reading, and seeing.

Next week will mark an end to our submission processes and I will begin sorting through submissions. 

Cheers!  

Hours:

10/16/13

1.5 hours class visit

10/18/13

1.5 hours class visit

 

No comments:

Post a Comment